USCIS DOCTOR - Immigration Medical Examination: I-693 form
Frequently Asked Questions, Immigration Medical Examination (I-693 form)

1- What do I bring with me on the day of the office visit?

Identification:Driver license, passport or any other identification.  
I-693 filled form:Fill the form (see above icon forms to fill) and print it. 

2- Does Insurance cover Immigration Medical Exam?

No, insurance does not cover immigration medical exams and we will not bill the insurance for shots. For blood work for TB, Syphilis and the Gonorrhea urine test, we will send you to the local Quest lab. They can bill your insurance for these tests, and if you do not have insurance they will charge you about $75 for syphyllis and Gonnorrhea if you are 15 years and older. Children fourteen years and younger do not require blood or urine test only TB blood test which cost $130.

3-When will I pick up my sealed envelope for immigration and my copy?

If everything is normal, it will be given you within 7 days. We will give you two envelopes: one sealed for the government which no one is allowed to open and a copy for your records which you are allowed to open.

4- Do I need to be fasting when I come for my immigration medical exam?

No, it would be better if you ate and drank some water.

5- When do I come back to pick up my sealed envelope?

After we call you within a week.  Please do not call us.  Hours for pick up are on FAQ sheet.

6- What if my TB blood test is positive?
 You will get a Chest X-ray done. If you have insurance then we can send you to Beaumont Hospital to get your x-ray.  If you do not have insurance then we can do it at Sterling Heights office for $150.
If the chest x-ray is normal then we will seal the envelope.  However, because your blood test is positive, this is considered Latent TB and your name will be submitted to health department which in turn will call you to have you visit them to give you pills.  
7-Which immunization do I need?

Most adults will need the following 2-4 shots: Tdap (Tetanus Diphtheria pertussis ), MMR (Measles Mumps & Rubella, but if you are pregnant you aren't able to receive it). Some may possibly need Varicella (chicken pox) however you aren't able to receive this one if you are pregnant as well. You may need a flu shot during flu season October-March, and Pneumonia shot if you are 65 years or older. For children, we will try to pull the records from the Michigan national registry. If it's not there, and you can provide us a different format from your country we can put it into the system in a Michigan (MCIR) format for a fee of $100. This program will let us know what additional shots they need. 
If you already had the shots and cannot provide a written documentation, then getting them again will not hurt you. The shots can be conveniently given right at our office. 

8- What if the Syphilis blood test or urine gonorrhea test is abnormal?
If the result is abnormal the lab will have to run a confirmation blood test for syphilis at an additional cost. If the confirmation test for Syphilis is normal then you do not need to be treated. If the confirmation test is abnormal then you will be sent to a specialist to be treated. There is no confirmation test for gonorrhea, if it's abnormal then you will be sent to a specialist to be treated. We can also treat you in our office as an office visit.

A Green paper FAQ will be given to you when you arrive at our office: 

    Green paper FAQ: Neil Jaddou, M.D. USCIS civil surgeon, WWW.USCISDOCTOR.ORG 
   1- What are the sequences of events that will take place today?  
·       Fill I-693 form and demo paper, if 14 years and older, the applicant must sign the form.
·       Basic checkup
·       Immunization:We will let you know which shots you need. 
        We have all the necessary shots in our office. We do not bill insurance.
   2- What will my cost be? $150 which includes:
  -Completing I-693 form and any follow up visits if needed.
  -sealed envelope for Immigration and a copy for you to keep.
  Price DOES NOT INCLUDE IMMUNIZATION (Shots), Blood or Urine Test.
 3-Does Insurance cover the I-693 Medical Exam?  No, also it does not cover the shots related to immigration.  Only may cover Blood and Urine test at Quest Lab.
This is a special service performed by a USCIS civil surgeon specifically to apply for a green card for immigration purposes and does not constitute a preventative physical.
 4-If I had the shots and I would show you my scars but do not have the documentation to prove it, will I still need the shot? YES, USCIS requires WRITTEN PROOF IN ENGLISH.
For children we will need their record in MCIR format.
   5-Which immunization do I need? See back page, most adults will need 3-4 shots:
Tdap(tetanus diphtheria, & pertussis), within 10 years $75+$25 admin fee= $100
MMR (Measles Mumps & Rubella, $100+$25 admin fee=$125).
Flu shot, October-March, $50 & possibly varicella if you did not have it as a child ($175)

 6- If I had the shots in the past but can not prove it and if I get it again will it hurt me? No, many people are not able to provide proof so we give them the shots and we had no problems. Side-effect may include body ache, mild fever, pain and redness around injection site.

 7- If the sealed envelope is lost or opened and needs to be resealed for any reason, there will $100 charge.  If it expires or you need to put a new date there will be $150 charge for resealing.

Our Civil Surgeon, Dr. Neil Jaddou will discuss the following section with you
Blood & Urine test done at Quest Lab (script and location will be given to you)
·       USCIS NOW REQUIRES BLOOD TEST FOR TB for 2 years and older
·       TB skin test is no longer accepted.
·       Syphilis blood test and urine Gonorrhea test: only for 15 years and older. 

A-  If TB blood test is positive (called Latent TB):
·       We will call you to come and pick up a slip to do chest x-ray.   
·       Your information from I-693 form will be given to the Health Department. 
·       They will call you to visit them to treat you with pills even if you had BCG.  

B-  Your Envelope will be sealed as long as your chest x-ray is negative (normal)
USCIS requires that you must get treatment by the health department. 

C-  Pick up:  within a week. If everything is normal, we will call you to pick up sealed envelope & copy for you. Do not call us before one week. Pick up times on the back page.

Green Paper:  Immunization Table

 Required Immunization by USCIS (√)

  Tdap (Tetanusdiphtheria, and pertussis)  with-in 10 years
   $75+$25 administration fee = $100
   MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)Yes if born after 1957
Can not be given if pregnant
   $100+$25 administration fee = $125
Influenza (Flu shot)
Given only during flu season for 6 months and older
From October – to the end of March $50
Varicella  (chickenpox) No need to be given if you had chickenpox as a child written proof is not required
Can not be given if pregnant $150+$25 admin fee=$175
65 years and older need Tdap (with-in 10 yrs) and pneumonia shot ($175), flu shot (Oct-march), and possible varicella.
For Children younger than 18 years:  The record must be in MCIR format for the state of Michigan. We can convert the child record for a charge of $100.
·      Pick up hours:will give you sealed envelope & copy within a week.
·      Do not call us until we call you. Bring with you identification.
·      Pick up from the location you did the exam. We will not move your file.
Troy Office Pick up Hours

Monday, Thursday 1pm-4:30 pm
Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday
8 am-10:30 am

Sterling Heights Office Pick up hours

Monday, Thursday, Friday: 8am-12 noon
Tuesday and Wednesday: 10:30-4:30
Saturday 11am-1pm

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to help in your path to US Citizenship - Somerset Family Medicine-SFM